Wednesday, August 6, 2014

My long journey to new furniture!

I have new living room furniture!  It was delivered yesterday into my spanking new house. And by spanking new I mean that the new living room furniture is the only furniture currently in our house.  We hope to move enough to be able to exist by the end of the week. It's boiling down to the end of this incredibly long chapter of my life (and my hubby's, too!).  I'm ready to start a new one! Let me tell you how we got here.

Approximately a year and a half ago, my husband and I started to seriously look for houses.  We toyed around quite a bit between building and buying a pre-existing home. Several insanely frustrating months and multiple failed contracts later, in the spring of 2013, we thought we were done for awhile. The process of home buying may be fun for some, but it certainly wasn't for us!  However, we came back to a half acre lot for sale that we originally didn't think would work, and decided the best course of action would be to build. In August of 2013, our adventure began. Here we are the day we became land owners!


I won't bore you with the details, but building a home is no picnic. And with my husband as the general contractor AND doing a lot of work to save us money, you better believe we've had our fair share of stressful days. I'm so grateful for the support, love and encouragement that my family and close friends gave me along the way - I really needed it!  This, in part, is the genesis of the Daily Joy Supply Co. We all need a little sunshine in our day - some days you need it, some days you are blessed to give it. And no matter how frustrating or hopeless or insurmountable the circumstance may seem, there is ALWAYS something in every day that can be celebrated! Take time for those small victories - create those small victories.  My husband, when he finds a penny will say: "Pennies lead to dimes and dimes lead to dollars!"  Well, small victories lead to big victories!    And now our big victory has been accomplished - almost a year later (the build was supposed to take 16 weeks....lol) our home is finished, we've closed and we're homeowners!  By the end of the month we should be completely moved in.  Here's my first house, with my favorite part - my purple door.


 
Which, of course, brings me back to my new furniture!  I feel like such a grown up. Most of my furniture is either old family furniture (nothing wrong with that, by the way) or garage sale finds (nothing wrong with that either), but it felt very fun to pick new fun pieces and choose the color and have it delivered!!  I'm sure my dogs will enjoy breaking them in. All of which has me feeling very creative. I have the perfect fabric to make throw pillows for one of the new chairs - I'm looking forward to surprising the hubby with it!  I'll be sure to take pics and share, let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment